Thursday, December 31, 2009

Whats the usual dosage of Macrobid when used to treat a bladder infection in a teenage girl?

My nursing drug reference says that the usual dose of Macrobid for adults and children over 12 is 50-100 milligrams up to four times a day, depending on the severity of the infection and what type of bacteria is treating the infection, and how long you have had it. If it is a chronic infection, a stronger dose may be prescribed. You may want to know that the common side effects are headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. This particular antibiotic is really hard on your gastrointestinal system. Make sure to take it with food and it won't bother your stomach as much. Oh, and it can turn your pee really dark, so don't be shocked it if is like brown or orange.Whats the usual dosage of Macrobid when used to treat a bladder infection in a teenage girl?
5 to 7 mg/kg. (remember 2.2 pounds per kg) in children





100mg twice a day is the adult dosage





50mg four time a day for the non-sustain release dosage in adults.





Keep in mind that e. coli is the major cause of bladder infections and that Nitrofurantoin (the active ingredient in Macrobid) is only effective in treating bladder infections caused by e.coli.





So, for repeated infections, it would be a good idea to switch to another drug because it is not effective if other organisms may be involved.





Long term repeated us leads to scar tissue formation in the lungs, (Pulmonary Fibrosis) that can silently damage the lungs for life.Whats the usual dosage of Macrobid when used to treat a bladder infection in a teenage girl?
I think that it's anywhere from 250 to 500 mg but it has been a while since I last took it. I took it for a breast infection while I was breastfeeding so it may be different. Every time that I took it, it gave me severe diarrhea so I asked them to lower the dosage and I always made sure that I ate before I took it.

No comments:

Post a Comment