Thursday, December 31, 2009

My teenage cat has a problem how can i stop it?

I have a male teenage cat i have had him since he was eating and drinking 8 wks old. He has problem and it sort of is a bit weird. he like to suckle. he does it off the dog, pillow even the coach i don't know what to do. i though it was because he left his mum but he has done it ever since i bought him home.please help. no stupid comments either they will get reported.


thank you My teenage cat has a problem how can i stop it?
It might be from weaning at an early age. You say you had him since 8 weeks but was he removed from his mother before then?. It is a comfort habit, like thumb-sucking. One cat I had many years ago used to suck on a sheepskin rug. She would knead it with her paws like a kitten on its mother. Maybe you can get your cat his own little sheepskin mat or even just a scrap piece from a factory. You could put him on it every time you catch him sucking something else and he might learn to choose it instead of the couch.


Maybe the dog likes it?? :)My teenage cat has a problem how can i stop it?
Why is it a problem and why would you want to stop it?


It's like a child sucking their thumb...it's calming and soothing to him.


I had a little female cat who liked to suckle the paw pads of my big strong macho Maine Coon cat. They were so cute. It was like he let her do it, because he knew it soothed her.


Life is hard. Leave him alone. Let him suckle if it makes him feel good.
I had a male teen cat that did this too. I have heard that this can occur when they have been separated too early from the mum. Maybe it's a comfort thing, not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment